Saturday, March 11, 2006

Matthew Fox on The Daily Show

This post originally appeared on my personal blog on Monday, March 06, 2006

I was pretty excited when I heard that Matthew Fox would be a guest on the Daily Show last week. Unfortunately, the interview was disappointing. I thought it was obvious that Jon Stewart had never watched an episode of LOST and he didn’t seem to care much about it. I know that no one who hosts a daily show can watch/read everything that they discuss, but whoever gave Jon the summary of LOST did an unusually bad job. Jon seemed to have a vague knowledge of plane crashes and buttons, but we didn’t learn anything about the show other than Matthew’s statement that the cast is getting smaller, which could mean that future episodes will feature more character deaths or could simply be a reference to Shannon and Boone’s characters. Obviously, I wasn’t expecting any major revelations about the plot, but some intelligent discussion would have been nice.

Not only was the lack of interesting commentary about the show disappointing, the jokes were incredibly lame. Jon Stewart is a brilliant comedian, which is why I was very surprised that he opened the interview with a tired joke comparing LOST to Gilligan’s Island. Equally surprising was Matthew Fox’s reaction to the jokes. He giggled like a school girl at every clichéd television reference (‘I get it! There are castaways on Gilligan’s Island too! HA!’) as if he had never heard those comparisons before.

Barring the extremely unlikely scenario that he found that banter amusing, his Daily Show appearance did demonstrate a greater acting range than he has thus far been allowed to exercise on LOST: Not only can he cry in the jungle, he can also laugh on queue. Perhaps the writers will use this talent in a future episode.
Sawyer: There’s a new sheriff in town.
Jack: Hee hee. That’s cliché-a-licious
Sawyer: I don’t think you understand me. I stole all the guns from Mr. Clean.
Jack: Mr. Clean! Hee hee hee! That’s funny!
Locke: This isn’t the time for laughter, Jack.
Jack: Sawyer’s right, John! You’re bald like the cartoon guy! Hee hee hee.
Sawyer: If I were you, I’d stop chuckling and listen, Doc.
Jack: DOC!!! Like in the seven dwarves! Hee hee hee. Sawyer, you are too much.
Sawyer: What did you do to put him in such a good mood, Freckles?
Jack: FRECKLES!!! HA HA HA!!! Stop making me laugh, you big goof! I’m going to pee my pants.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're being a bit harsh on the big guy (Matthew Fox), don't you think? He was obviously nervous. Actors are frequently nervous on these types of shows. If they're not, they're frequently high.

And the interview was no different than any silly nonsense you'd see on TV interview shows. You thought Jon Stewart sounded ignorant, you should have seen Regis, who kept "joking" about the island's dinosaur. That joke wore off even before he thought it, but he probably mentioned it about 5 times. Of course, his dorky audience obediently laughed each and every time.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I missed the Regis show and I think I’m glad about that. I can just picture him joking about the “dinosaur.”
I didn’t mean to be harsh to Matthew Fox. This post belongs in the Satiric Observations sections of the blog.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home