Thursday, March 16, 2006

Introduction: Yet another LOST blog.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this blog. It really means a lot to me. Originally, I was going to talk about LOST on my personal blog but I decided to start a new blog especially for LOST-themed posts because very few members of my family watch LOST and even fewer LOST fans care about my personal life. Intermingling my LOST theorizing with pictures of my latest vacation just seemed like a bad idea on several levels.

When I was an undergraduate student, I had an English professor who would begin every class with a casual banter about the most recent LOST episode. I largely ignored these discussions; I had never seen LOST so I had nothing to contribute and I believed that network television had become stagnant and incapable of producing a thought compelling show. However, his discussions about a man living under ground who had to push a button every 108 minutes on a tropical island populated with polar bears soon began to intrigue me. My fiancée and I rented season one and became immediately addicted. We couldn’t watch the DVDs fast enough. (Even our wedding planning was put on hold until we were caught up with the series.) I soon joined with my professor and classmates in their LOST theorizing; a small group of us often lingered after class for up to an hour analyzing and debating the show’s many mysteries. I’ve really missed those experiences since finishing school. Our discussions were the perfect mix of scholarly analysis and obsessed fan geektitude. While there are some excellent blogs, message boards, and podcasts available, I haven’t found any that exactly replicate the same analytical (but fun) style of my classroom discussions. It is my hope to recreate some of that feeling on this blog.

While I may post some quickie evaluations immediately after viewing a new episode, I intend to primarily examine the show holistically through a series of short essays. I assume that readers of this blog have seen the show so I will not give spoiler warnings when I discuss plot details of previous episodes. I will include a warning if I reveal future plot spoilers.

I hope that you will leave feedback on my posts. I don’t believe that my LOST ideas are sacred so please leave a comment if you want to expand on a theory with something that I didn’t consider or if you think I’m completely off the mark. The only thing I ask is that you keep all remarks respectful and civil because everyone’s opinions are equally valuable and this is just for fun. Anything appearing on this blog is open for community use. I would be honored if you’d like to quote or summarize anything I’ve written in your podcast, blog, or discussion group. Please just include citation and links to this blog as well as emailing me at theblacksmoke-nospam@gmail.com (Remove the “-nospam” from the address before sending) to let me know where I can hear or read your comment. (This policy of open use does not extend to any projects that will be graded or published for financial gain.)

I’ll be making the first official post this weekend but in the mean time, please enjoy the two previous posts that originally appeared on my personal blog. Also, the professor mentioned above is a founder of and a frequent contributor to The Lost Wiki. I contribute there as well—rather infrequently I’m afraid—as “Aeroplane” (after my favorite album). It’s a great resource that I highly recommend.

2 Comments:

Blogger ontask said...

I found your site via LOSTCasts. The quality of your writing and analysis is a exactly what I've been searching for. I struggle with a lack of patience for sifting through the message boards to find the most meaningful content.

Over at Listible, (another one of those Web 2.0 social bookmarking sites), I added your site to my list of LOST resources. As the list creator, I don't get to vote or reorder the individual items on the list, ABC Television Series: Lost. Otherwise, I'd definitely place your site with the best.

I look forward to reading more of your work. I'd also love to read any of your thoughts if you 'flashback' to previous episodes!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thank you. Your comments are very kind. I intend to do some 'flashback' writing during the summer break.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home